b_180_0_16777215_00_images_stories_logo_rgb.jpg

The Seat of museum
The museum management, administration and studios are located in the 18th century inn situated at Zamkowa 2 street, next to the castle. The main seat of the museum is located in the Royal Castle. The first Sanok castle was built by the Polish king Casimir III the Great (Kazimierz III Wielki) after 1341 in a place of the Ruthenian wooden stronghold. A wedding of the king Ladislaus II Jagiello (Władysław II Jagiełło) and his third wife Elizabeth Granowska (Elżbieta Granowska) took place in the castle chambers. Jagiello’s fourth wife Sophia of Halshany (Zofia Holszańska called Sonka) often stayed here in the time when she was a queen dowager already. The local representative of the royal administration (starosta) of the Sanok county, Mikołaj Wolski, commissioned by the queen Bona Sforza altered the Medieval castle in form of the Renaissance residence between 1523-1548. The chroniclers wrote an information on a stay of the Hungarian queen Isabella Jagiellon (Izabela Jagiellonka), sister of the Polish king Sigismund II Augustus (Zygmunt II August) (between 1555-1556) in the Sanok castle. False Dmitriy I (Dymitr I Samozwaniec) subsequent tsar, who married Marina Mniszech (Maryna Mniszechówna) a doughter of Sanok starosta, appeared in the castle in 1604. Numerous alters and demolition of some of the buildings during the Austrian period diminished architectural value of the object. The renovation works, being conducted since the beginning of the 90s, enabled to uncover or reconstruct many Renaissance arrangements and details. The rebuilding works of the southern wing of the castle began in the spring 2010. The works ended in the autumn 2011. Permanent exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński's works has been arranged in the rebuilt wing. Ceremonial opening of the new Gallery of Zdzisław Beksiński took place on 18th May 2012. The Gallery has been opened for the public on 19th May 2012. In the first days the exhibition was visited by approx. 10 000 people. Current revitalization works on the castle hill include, inter alia, erecting the building of conferential hall and stores placed under the surface of the castle court. The castle hill has been surrounded with reconstructed Medieval defensive wall.


Royal castle in Sanok – the seat of museum

Emanuel von Kronbach, The view of Sanok castle, 1825 Southern wing of the castle Castle before the rebuilding of the southern wing, 2008 View of Sanok castle with the rebuilt southern wing, 2011



History of the institution
In 1934 the Sanok castle become a seat of the newly established Museum of Sanok Land. The castle was plundered in September 1939. Collections of the Museum Lemkiwszczyna placed in the Greek Catholic parish were moved to the castle according to Kreisschulrat Willy Huber’s order in 1940. German clerks had taken two precious 15th century icons away from the museum collection in 1943. In August 1944 withdrawing occupants took many precious relics, certain number of them have been found next to Legnica (the Lower Silesia province) after war. At the end of hostilities, the castle housed the army hospital and subsequently the armoury which functioned until 1946. When army abandoned the castle, the museum has resumed its activity. In 1968 the name of the institution was changed into the Historical Museum in Sanok. The institution was managed by: Dr Bolesław Skwarczyński (1934-1939), Leon Getz (1939-1944), Stefan Stefański (1944-1968), Janina Lewandowska (1968-1970) and Edward Zając (1970-1990). Since 1990, Wiesław Banach is a director.

Ceremonial opening of the new Gallery of Zdzisław Beksiński, 18-19.05.2012

Audience waiting before Sanok castle for the opening of the new Gallery of Zdzisław Beksiński, 19 May 2012 Crowed of guests in Sanok Workshop, 19 May 2012 Visitors in The Chamber of 25 Paintings during the ceremonial opening of the new Gallery of Zdzisław Beksiński, 19 May 2012 Visitors in The Chamber of 25 Paintings, 19 May 2012
Visitors in Sanok Workshop, 19 May 2012 Panel discussion devoted to the creativity of Zdzisław Beksiński during the ceremonial opening of The Gallery of Zdzisław Beksiński Visitors browsing drawers with the Master's drawings in the attic story, 19 May 2012 Opening of The Gallery of Beksiński



Collections
Special position amid collections of the Sanok museum has the collection of the Orthodox and Greek Catholic church art. Its oldest relics are the 12th century engolpions found during the archaeological excavations in a cemetery once surrounded the church located in a stronghold situated nearby the village of Trepcza. Experts rank the collection of well-preserved 15th and 16th century icons as the masterpieces of the icon painting (inter alia, Christ Pantocrator from the 2nd half of the 15th c. from Nowosielce, the Virgin Hodegetria from the 16th c. from Paniszczów). The whole exposition, which includes a few hundred objects and chronologically reaches the beginning of the 20th c., brilliantly presents evolution of the Orthodox and Greek Catholic Church art. One of the castle chambers has been devoted to the Catholic church art. A few relics from the 15th and 16th century as well as the Rococo sculptures of the ‘Lvovian school’ draw special attention. We can also find here a painting by G. Pagani, ‘The Mourning over Christ’ which an original by Rubens is placed in the Royal Museum in Brussels. The collection of the sarmatian portrait consists of paintings partly coming from Załuski’s family pinacotheca. Painting of the ‘Lady with a fan’ by Gijsbert Sibilla (1598-1652), Dutchman being under the influence of Rembrandt Van Rijn is undoubtedly the greatest pride of this collection. Section of the Pokuttyian ceramics  numbers over 500 exhibits. Its artefacts are presented in the southern rebuilt wing of the castle. The Historical exposition is going to be extended after finishing all works connected with the rebuilt wing. In the basements of the wing we will display, inter alia, militaria and the observational shelter which was built on the castle hill by Germans in the 40s of the 20th c. Thousands of documents and photographs connected with our region are collected in the museum archive. The Archaeological collection consists of finds from the Stone Age to modern times. Artefacts found in the Horodyszcze stronghold in the village of Trepcza (situated nearby Sanok), among them a golden Celtic coin with the representations of Athena and Nike, occupies important place in this collection. Fundament of the rich section of modern art comprises works of the Polish artists remained in France. They are, among others: Olga Boznańska, Józef Pankiewicz, Tadeusz Makowski, Wacław Zawadowski, Wacław Żaboklicki, Ludwik Lille, Hanna Rudzka-Cybis, Jan Cybis, Emil Krcha, Jan Ekiert, Józef Jarema, Maria Sperling, Arika Madeyska and Edward Baran. The collection has also been enriched with paintings by Juliusz Studnicki, Otto Axer, Hanna Zawa-Cywińska, Janina Dobrzyńska. The Surnames of many outstanding artists are connected with the Sanok land, they are as follows: Leon Getz, Marian Kruczek, Izabela Rapf-Sławikowska, Anna and Tadeusz Turkowski. Zdzisław Beksiński occupies a prominent place among the sanok artists. Thanks to occasional purchases and numerous gifts crowned with Beksiński’s testamentary will, the museum has become an owner of thousands of his works after his tragic death. Drawings, sketches, graphics, art photographs, reliefs, sculptures, pictures and computer photomontages evidence each period of his artistic creativity. The museum has also number of recordings, movies, notes and documents referred to his life and work. Many of them, along with the equipment of artist’s Warsaw studio, has been placed in the permanent exhibition in the rebuilt wing.

Exhibitions of our collections organized out of the seat of Museum

Opening of the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński's works in The Archdiocesan Museum in Wrocław, 4 March 1998. Standing from the left: a priest bishop Józef Pazdur, a father Roman Pałaszewski, a director Wiesław Banach and a group of students of The College of Art in Wrocław. Opening of the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński's works in in The Archdiocesan Museum in Wrocław, 4 March 1998 Opening of the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński's works in The Archdiocesan Museum in Wrocław, 4 March 1998 Vernissage of the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksinski in The Atlantes Gallery in Wałbrzych, 22 October 1999
Exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński's paintings and graphics in The Archaeological and Historical Museum in Głogów, 2003 Teleconference with the artist during the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński in The Gallery of Modern Art PROFIL CK Castle in Poznań, 2003 Exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński in The Museum of Podlasie in Białystok, 2004 Dariusz Szuwalski and Ewa Kasprzak from Sanok Museum at the vernissage of the exhibition of Maria Jaremianka, Witold Gombrowicz, Józef Jarema in The Gallery ZPAP in Cracow Sukiennice
Montage of Beksiński exhibition in The Museum of History of the City of Łódż, 2004 Zdzisław Beksiński exhibition in The Ducal Castle in Szczecin, 2004 Vernissage of the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksinski in The Centre of Art The Gallery EL in Elbląg, 2006 Preparations to the montage of the greatest retrospective exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński in The National Museum in Gdańsk, 2006
One of the chambers filled with the masterpieces of Zdzisław Beksiński in The National Museum in Gdańsk, 2006 Chamber filled with Zdzisław Beksiński's  paintings in The National Museum in Gdańsk, 2006 Vernissage of the retrospective exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński in The National Museum in Gdańsk. The first on the left Vernissage of the retrospective exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński in The National Museum in Gdańsk, 2006
Dorota Szomko from Sanok Museum standing beside the last masterpiece of Zdzisław Beksiński finished on the the day of his death. The painting is presented at the greate retrospective exhibition of the artist  in The National Museum in Gdańsk, 2006 Building of The Modern Art Section of  The National Museum in Gdańsk with an advertisement of  the Beksiński exhibition, 2006 Posters in Gdańsk Old Town advertising the Beksiński exhibition in The National Museum in Gdańsk, 2006 Exhibition of the painting, graphic and sculpture of Marian Kruczek in The Centre of Culture in Nowa Huta near Cracow, 2009
Exhibition of the photography of Zdzisław Beksiński in The Lizards Club in Cracow, October 2009 Zdzisław Beksinski's Alphabet Exhibition of the photography and computer photomontages in The Lower Silesia Centre of Photography DOMEK ROMAуSKI in Wrocław, 2012 Exhibition of the photography and computer graphic of Zdzisław Beksiński in The Castle Gallery in Lublin, 2012
‘Zdzisław Beksiński – Darkness of the subconscious’ exhibition in the Phantastenmuseum Vien, 2013 ‘Zdzisław Beksiński – Darkness of the subconscious’ exhibition in the Phantastenmuseum Vien, 2013 ‘Zdzisław Beksiński – Darkness of the subconscious’ exhibition in the Phantastenmuseum Vien, 2013 ‘Zdzisław Beksiński – Darkness of the subconscious’ exhibition in the Phantastenmuseum Vien, 2013


Researching, popularizing and publishing activity
Apart from exhibiting activities, the Museum also carries out systematic conservational works and scientific studies over its rich collections. Results of research works are published in catalogues of the collections. Until now, there have appeared, inter alia, three volumes dedicated to Zdzisław Beksiński and the catalogues of works of: Marian Kruczek, Tadeusz M. Turkowski, Arika Madeyska and Hanna Zawa-Cywińska. Several significant to the region publications were prepared by the historical section of the museum. These are, inter alia, the catalogues such as ‘Medallions, medals and plaques’, ‘2nd Regiment of Podhale Rifles from Sanok’ and ‘Archival photographs, Sanok, volume 1 and 2’. The archaeological section in cooperation with the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cracow (since 2010 with University of Rzeszów, too) edits and publishes volumes of a yearbook ‘Acta Militaria Mediaevalia’. Moreover, each temporary exhibition is enriched with a catalogue or broacher. The Museum occasionally issues the limited bibliophilic editions, volumes of poetry and prose. The museum workers as well as people entitled by a director can use the museum library having along with the specialist literature of archaeology, history and history of art also precious section of the old prints and publications concerning the region. Popularizing activity of the Museum includes the museum lessons organized in cooperation with educational institutions of the region as well as the lectures for organized groups. Within 20 last years, the Historical Museum in Sanok was several times a co-organizer of the international sessions and scientific conferences concerning history of the Orthodox and Greek Catholic Church art and archaeology.

World of the Master Beksiński – cycle of events in the Philharmonic Orchestra in Cracow (2009)
and the Subcarpathian Philharmonic Orchestra in Rzeszow (2012)

Vernissage of the exhibition accompanying the cycle of events called The World of Master Beksiński in Cracow Philharmonic, 23 October 2009 Audience during concert interval after listening the Adagio of Symphony No. 10 by Gustav Mahler, that is one of the Beksiński's favourite composition, Cracow Philharmonic, 23 October 2009. Standing from the right: professor Franciszek Ziejka and cardinal Franciszek Macharski. People visiting the exhibition of Beksiński painting in The Golden Hall of Cracow Philharmonic, 24 October 2009 The World of Master Beksiński
The World of Master Beksiński The World of Master Beksiński During an interval of the concert of The World of Master Beksiński in Subcarpathian Philharmonic in Rzeszów, 22 February 2012 Vernissage of the exhibition of Zdzisław Beksiński in the holl of Subcarpathian Philharmonic in Rzeszów, 22 February 2012

 

‘Zdzisław Beksiński Darkness of the subconscious’ exhibition
in the building of the European Parliament in Brussels (2010)

Director Wiesław Banach's speech during the vernissage of Zdzisław Beksiński exhibition Vernissage of Zdzisław Beksiński exhibition Director Wiesław Banach and Tomasz Poręba a deputy of European Parliment - the organizator and sponsor of the exhibition of ZDZSŁAW BEKSIуSKI Vernissage of the exhibition of ZDZSŁAW BEKSIуSKI
Vernissage of the exhibition of ZDZSŁAW BEKSIуSKI Director Wiesław Banach interviewed by the representatives of media Guests visiting the exhibition of ZDZSŁAW BEKSIуSKI Performance of an accordionist Bartosz Głowacki



Visitors of the temporary exhibitions and those organized out of the seat of Museum
The Historical Museum in Sanok is annually visited by over 60 thousand people. There are tourists from France, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, USA, Japan, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Slovakia and others. Similar amount of visitors from almost the whole world visit the museum web site www.muzeum.sanok.pl. The Podhalanians - 2nd Regiment of Podhale Rifles from Sanok, Sanok people at the Monte Cassino, Political 1944-1956, When Szwejk in Sanok stayed… – these are only certain very important to the region exhibitions prepared by the historical section. During last quarter century we presented in our chambers temporary exhibitions of: Mieczysław Janikowski, Otto Axer, Jan Ekiert, Jan Cybis, Józef Jarema, Maria Sperling, Marian Kruczek, Leszek Mądzik, Artur Nacht-Samborski, Maria Szulczewska de Regibus, Juliusz Studnicki, Edward Baran, Grzegorz Pabla, Janina Dobrzyńska, Arka Madeyska, Hanna Zawa-Cywińska, Waldemar Kuczma. The artists affiliated with the Sanok land showed their masterpieces on individual or grouped displays in the cycle of ‘The Salon of Sanok Artists’. The Museum organized dozens temporary exhibitions organized in significant cultural centres in Poland and Europe. It is worth mentioning that from December 1991 to March 1992 in the Dutch Museum of Religious Art in Uden was organized exhibition of the chosen icons from the collection of the Historical Museum in Sanok. Our icons were also exhibited in Hungary. The collections of works of Marian Kruczek, Józef Jarema and Leon Getz were presented in Cracow. Whereas dozens of exhibitions of Zdzisław Beksiński’s masterpieces had been presented in many big cities of Poland in last 20 years. Apart from Sanok, the greatest exhibition of works of the Sanok artist (Zdzisław Beksiński) was held in 2006 in the National Museum in Gdansk.

Unusual event entitled "World of the Master Beksiński" was organized in 2009 in the Philharmonic Orchestra in Cracow. During several evenings in this noble edifice, there was possibility to see Beksiński’s paintings and listen to concerts of the Master’s favorite music enriched with multimedia presentations prepared on motifs of his works. Similar event was held in 2012 in the Subcarpathian Philharmonic Orchestra in Rzeszow. In the building of the European Parliament in Brussels an exhibition entitled ‘Zdzisław Beksiński Darkness of the subconscious’ was presented in 2010.

 

Artur Olechniewicz
 
Translated by: Piotr Zelny
 

Photographs of the former museum exhibitions
and the photographic relations of certain temporary exhibitions organised
in the Historical Museum in Sanok

Arrangement of the museum exhibition in Sanok castle, 1935. Aleksander Rybicki, one of the founders of the museum, stands at the far side
Museum exposition in Sanok castle in 1941 Stefan Stefański tours a group of youths, 1963
Exhibition organized in the castle interiors for the occasion of a ceremony of 1000 years of Polish State, 1966
Exhibition of THE ACQUISITIONS OF THE YEAR 1972 Exhibition of THE ACQUISITIONS OF THE YEAR 1972 Exhibition of Jadwiga Lorenc, 1973 Exhibition of Jadwiga Lorenc, 1973
Exhibition of THE ACQUISITIONS OF THE YEAR 1973 Exhibition of THE ACQUISITIONS OF THE YEAR 1973 Exhibition of Bogna Perz-Kruczek, 1975 Exhibition of Jerzy Wojtowicz's painting, 1979
Vernissage of the exhibition of The Group Sanok, 1981 Vernissage of the exhibition of The Group Sanok, 1981 Sanok Group: Jerzy Wojtowicz, Tadeusz Turkowski, Władysław Szulc, Ryszard Rogowski, Anna Turkowska, Jacek Rogowski, Wiesław Banach, 1981 Exhibition of Mieczysław Janikowski
Opening of the PODHALANIE exhibition Opening of the exhibition of Józef Winiecki, THE WAR PHOTOGRAPHIES, 1994 Vernissage of the exhibition of Otto Axer's drawing and painting, 1994 Vernissage of the exhibition of Otto Axer's drawing and painting, 1994
Vernissage of the exhibition of Józef Jarema's and Maria Sperling's painting, 1995. Stand from the left: a director Wiesław Banach, Christian Leprette, Carina Leprette and Irena Śnieżek (a translator) Vernissage of the exhibition of Józef Jarema's and Maria Sperling's painting, 1995 Vernissage of the exhibition of Józef Jarema's and Maria Sperling's painting, 1995 Vernissage of the exhibition of Józef Jarema's and Maria Sperling's painting, 1995. On the right Stefan Stefański a director of the museum in 1944
Vernissage of the exhibition of Józef Jarema's and Maria Sperling's painting, 1995. Stand from the left: Maciej Harna, Artur Olechniewicz i Barbara Olechniewicz Happening accompanying the opening of the exhibition of Leszek Mądzik FROM THE DARKNES, 1996 Fragment of Leszek Mądzik exhibition FROM THE DARKNES, 1996 Vernissage of the exhibition of Sanok Artists 1999. From the left: Władysław Szulc, Artur Olechniewicz, Jerzy Wojtowicz, Katarzyna Winnicka, Wiesław Banach, Anna Turkowska, Tadeusz Turkowski
Vernissage of the exhibition of Sanok Artists 1999 Opening of the exhibition of The Silesian Gothic Sculpture from the collection of The Archdiocese Museum in Wrocław, 1999 Vernissage of the exhibition of Sanok Artists 2000 Vernissage of the exhibition of Sanok Artists 2000
Vernissage of the exhibition of Sanok Artists 2000, On the right Anna Maria Pilszak Vernissage of the exhibition of ANNA TURKOWSKA Vernissage of the exhibition of ANNA TURKOWSKA Zdzisław Beksiński visits the monographic exhibition of Tadeusz Turkowski in chambers of Sanok Castle, 2000
 Tadeusz Turkowski (the author). Monographic exhibition of Tadeusz Turkowski in chambers of Sanok Castle, 2000 Hanna Zawa-Cywińska and Elżbieta Dzikowska (the authors) on the vernissage of the exhibition of THE MEGALITH, 2002 Vernissage of the exhibition of THE MEGALITH, 2002 Vernissage of the exhibition of THE MEGALITH, 2002. Elżbieta Dzikowska talks with a director Wiesław Banach and a poet Janusz Szuber
Arika Madeyska during the visit in The Historical Museum in Sanok, 2003 Vernissage of the exhibition of ARIKA MADEYSKA Vernissage of the exhibition of ARIKA MADEYSKA Vernissage of the exhibition of The COLOURISTS from the collection of The County Museum in Rzeszów, 2003
Vernissage of the exhibition of The COLOURISTS from the collection of The County Museum in Rzeszów, 2003 Okręgowego w Rzeszowie, 2003 r. Opening of the exhibition of THE HAPPY MEADOW OF PUSSY WILLOW organized in the 20th anniversary of Marian Kruczek's death, 2004. The photo shows Katarzyna Winnicka and Paweł Kruczek Opening of the exhibition of THE HAPPY MEADOW OF PUSSY WILLOW organized in 20th anniversary of Marian Kruczek's death, 2004 Richard Hašek the grandson of Jaroslav Hašek came  at the opening ceremony of the exhibition WHEN SZWEJK STAYED IN SANOK..., 2004
Opening of the exhibition WHEN SZWEJK STAYED IN SANOK..., 2004, (Previous realization of the event took place in 1996) Opening of the exhibition THE WARRIORS AND KNIGHTS accompanied The International Scientific Session THE ART OF WAR in the Polish Opening of the exhibition THE WARRIORS AND KNIGHTS accompanied The International Scientific Session THE ART OF WAR in the Polish Opening of the exhibition THE APPARATUS OF REPRESSION IN RZESZÓW LAND IN THE YEARS 1944
Opening of the exhibition THE APPARATUS OF REPRESSION IN RZESZÓW LAND IN THE YEARS 1944 Opening of the exhibition BETWEEN WARHOL AND BEKSIуSKI organized in cooperation with The Museum of Andy Warhol in Medzilaborce in Slovakia, 2007 Opening of the exhibition BETWEEN WARHOL AND BEKSIуSKI organized in cooperation with The museum of Andy Warhol in Medzilaborce in Slovakia, 2007 Vernissage of the exhibition of Izabela Rapf-Sławikowska's painting, 2006
Izabela Rapf-Sławikowska during the opening of its exhibition in The Historical Museum in Sanok in 2006 Vernissage of the retrospective exhibition of ARIKA MADEYSKA Arika Madeyska exhibition in the castle basements in 2007 Honorata Madeyska-Jonquière talks with a director Wiesław Banach during the vernissage of Arika Madeyska exhibition, 2007
Krystyna Sieraczyńska (in the middle) during the opening of her exhibition in The Historical Museum in Sanok, 2007 Opening of the exhibition of Krystyna Sieraczyńska's painting in Sanok castle in 2007 Opening of the exhibition THE TREASURES OF THE FRANCISCANS MONASTERIES organized in 630 anniversary of arriving of the Franciscan monks to Sanok, 2007 Opening of the exhibition THE TREASURES OF THE FRANCISCANS MONASTERIES organized in 630 anniversary of arriving of the Franciscan monks to Sanok, 2007. Standing from the left: a priest bishop Adam Szal, a priest prelate Feliks Kwaśny and co-organizer of the exhibition father Stanisław Glista OFMConv
Vernissage of the exhibition of ARTUR NACHT-SAMBORSKI, THE PAINTING OF THE FIGURE Vernissage of the exhibition of ARTUR NACHT-SAMBORSKI, THE PAINTING OF THE FIGURE Vernissage of the exhibition of ARTUR NACHT-SAMBORSKI, THE PAINTING OF THE FIGURE Opening of Barbara Bandurka exhibition VIA CRUCIS, 2008
Opening of Wofganng Hofer exhibition PAINTED WITH THE SOIL AND WATER, 2010 Waldemar Kuczma during the vernissage of his exhibition in Sanok castle, 2012 Vernissage of Waldemar Kuczma exhibition in Sanok castle, 2012 Vernissage of Waldemar Kuczma exhibition in Sanok castle, 2012


You can read more about history of the Sanok castle here...

 

Information

 

Opening hours:

from 1st April to 31st October
Mon 8am - 12pm
other days of the week 9am - 5pm

 

from 2nd November to 31st March
Mon 8am - 12pm
Tues and Wed 9am - 5pm
other days of the week 9am " 3pm

 

Tickets:
Regular fee - 15 PLN
Reduced fee - 11 PLN
Family - 43 PLN
guided tour in Polish - 50 PLN
guided tour in English, French or German is available for ordering at the ticket office or by phone + 48 13 46 306 09, ext. 35, fare - 65 PLN
All reservations e-mail: rezerwacja.mhs@interia.pl

© The Historical Museum in Sanok is the exclusive owner of copyrights of Zdzisław Beksiński's works 

Events

History of the castle

We recommend

tour

 

collections

 

shop