One of the most beautiful collection of art of the Orthodox and Greek Catholic church in Poland gathers over 1200 exhibits. The earliest examples of the Orthodox and Greek Catholic church art, icons and liturgical objects (utensils, wooden and polychromed handed crosses, engolpions, banners, robes, antique books) coming from existing or non-existing churches of south-eastern Poland and contemporary Ukraine, can be seen in chambers of the renaissance castle.
The biggest exhibition in the world (numbering around 600 works) presents rich and diverse creativity of one of the most interesting and intriguing contemporary artists. Having, to a large extent, author's profile the exhibition has retrospective character reflecting development and stylistic-formal transformations of the art in the course of time.
Marian Kruczek was born on 27th December 1927 in Plowce near Sanok. In 1946 he went to Cracow to study in high school of fine arts. After completing high school diploma in 1948 he started studies at Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow. In 1954 he had graduated (his master’s thesis was written under the academic auspices of professor Łukomski). Afterwards he became lecturer in above-mentioned Academy.
Exhibition presents the armament from the collections of Historical Museum in Sanok, expanded with particularly precious exhibits, shared by a private collector. Within the collection there are exhibits linked with town and the land of Sanok as well as the armament from different regions, given to the Museum by donators.
The collection of Pokuttyan ceramics, numbering over 500 exhibits, was donated to the museum by Aleksander Rybicki in 1978. It is the greatest collection in Poland. Pokuttya (Polish: Pokucie), it is a land located in the Eastern Carpathian Mountains in the upper Prut and Cheremosh rivers on territory of nowadays Ukraine. The local people, Hutsuls, occupied themselves with breeding, farming and craft.